View Single Post
Old 26 April 2012, 06:00   #2
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixWayShot View Post
Hi. I'm SixWayShot, and I spend way too much money on STUFF.
Hello!!!

Quote:
1. Is the A530 expansion worth using?
No, you better just give it to me to save you the pain and embarassment..
OK.. kidding... Yes, it's worth using..

Quote:
2. I don't know the specs of the GVP A530 just yet.
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/gvp530
Quote:
How easy is it to upgrade the device, or should I even bother?
It's a bit spendier, because it's SCSI, but you can find SCSI drives around still.. You'll want a working hard drive...
You'll want some RAM for the GVP also. Again, it's special GVP SIMMs, so it will be harder to find those, but they are around..
Quote:
3. I read the guide on how to transfer files from a PC to an Amiga, but if I don't have access to a PC with a serial port, is there another method I could use?
Several, but with a 500, it's limited..
Cheapest is to get a USB serial port adapter. They're usually just a couple of bucks.
You can get a SCSI to IDE adapter for your 530, and then you can just attach the IDE drive to your PC (if you have a spare internal IDE port or a USB IDE adapter) and use WinUAE to read it..
If you have a Floppy drive in your PC still, you can get CrossDOS (if your Amiga doesn't have it already) and send files back and forth on DD PC (720k) floppies.

Quote:
4. The Amiga I got is an Amiga 500. I'm pretty sure it has 1MB of RAM, and it's NTSC. I know that most of the good games are PAL releases. How much of an issue will I have playing PAL games, be it physical disks I may get online, or downloaded files?
Its a bit of a hassle, but frequently you can still play the games, just the bottom gets cut off, and they run a bit faster.. Sometimes they don't run, but frequently, they do..

Quote:
5. I'm using an Atari joystick right now (from a Flashback 2. Haven't found a vintage Atari stick that's, uh, clean...). What's a good joystick or gamepad to use with an Amiga?
I believe you will hear Competition Pro and Slick Stick.. and others.. :-)

Great find!!

desiv

Page generated in 0.07624 seconds with 9 queries