View Single Post
Old 16 April 2012, 18:04   #390
jms2

Jon,

As you've had so few replies about the new data format, I thought I should make a post to register my enthusiasm for what you're doing. Its really superb and I do appreciate it, but what has been holding me back from commenting is an underlying lack of confidence that I understand all the technical issues involved, and and the fact that I've not actually had time to try out ADFFS as yet. However, here goes...

1) Your proposed format containing metadata looks similar to the "UEF" format used quite extensively for BBC micro tape images. There is no particular reason that I can think of why you'd need to use the UEF format, but it might give you some ideas.

2) A key issue for me (and I assume everyone else) is how to transfer disk images onto a real machine. I can only use DOS 720k floppies, so the image has to be smaller than this.

3) The alternative approach, presumably, would be to crack the protection on these games and release unprotected images. This was certainly done back in the day although the cracked images don't seem to be in circulation any longer. Would cracking all the APD games be any easier that the approach you are suggesting?

Page generated in 0.04239 seconds with 11 queries