View Single Post
Old 04 April 2012, 19:50   #553
d0pefish

Thanks for the clarification Jens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
It does not double for all screen modes. Only old flickerfixers do that...
Indeed, yes - I think "scandoubler" is probably an insulting name for something as advanced and flexible as the Indivision. Of course, I didn't bother explaining the part about the framebuffer, because you are much better at explaining that

Perhaps "scan converter" would be more appropriate for this function - I'm just too used to the old fashioned term.

Quote:
Also, you're mixing terms "scandoubler" and "flickerfixer" like many people do
When I said "scandoubler/flickerfixer" I meant that the Indivision does both, not one-or-the-other, or implying that both terms mean the same thing - as you say, many people confuse these terms. I just didn't explain the flickerfixer part. But it is an important difference, thanks for catching that.

I used to own a device years ago, I think it was a ScanMagic, that did not include a flickerfixer, so PAL:Hi-Res Laced would still hurt my eyes It is great to be able use this screenmode on my Indi ECS nicely deinterlaced.

Quote:
Using the term "scandoubler" for something that's even more sophisticated than the flickerfixers of the Amiga haydays is a little off track. Indivision uses a full framebuffer at even higher speeds and full colour depth, so it does *more* than a flickerfixer back in the days, and it does *way*more* than a scandoubler.
Agreed completely, >I< understand and appreciate the device's capabilities and what it is versus what it is not - the problem is finding a way to explain what the Indivision offers to customers without leading people into thinking it's a full RTG solution (although it very nearly unofficially is, looking at another thread!), a pixel-upscaler, or an nVIDIA GeForce.

I just saw "1080p" mentioned in this thread a few times and started to worry for you.

It goes without saying that the Indivision ECS/AGA are the most advanced solution to the problem, and the best shot anyone will probably ever have at getting modern screens working perfectly with their Amigas.

Best,
-D

Last edited by d0pefish; 04 April 2012 at 20:03.

Page generated in 0.07112 seconds with 9 queries