View Single Post
Old 02 April 2012, 16:24   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Hate to be the barer of bad news, but theyre not amiga shots. The CU Amiga preview that these pics come from was merely using what was the current state of the pc version at the time.
What makes you so sure?! The screenshots weren't taken from the CU Amiga A1200 preview - they were originally supplied in iff format (with date stamps from late 1993) by Bullfrog to an Amiga-based CD publication for the CD32 version that was in development.

It was well-held that the CD32 release of Magic Carpet in development was going to make use of the Akiko chip, probably because the A1200 wouldn't have been able to adequately cope with texture-mapping otherwise. Even so, according to Amiga World games reviewer Peter Olafson, an A1200 version without texture-mapping was definitely in development:

"A question: Back in days around the introduction of the CD32 (August '93), Bullfrog indicated it was working on some advanced Amiga games. One of them was Magic Carpet (which actually reached a prototype state on the A1200, as I recall--albeit without textures). What were the others--if any? I know I mentioned this in one of my old Amiga World articles, but if someone recalls this, you'll save me from pawing around in a dusty basement for some hours. :-D" [Source: Peter Olafson, posted to comp.sys.amiga.games]

Peter's no mug and I've had personal contact with him (and he has posted here on EAB too occasionally). I have other evidence too (e.g. the same game engine was being used in another unreleased Amiga game called Creation, which I also have screenshots for), but this post is long enough as it is. We might not always get it right, but the HOL team does try to do its research for game entries where there is uncertainty. Definitely one for aGTW to follow-up on methinks!

So whaddya reckon?! Magic Carpet AGA/CD32 - fact or fiction?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The date it was posted makes you wonder.. :P
Haha! That was intentional......but my post was after midday!

Last edited by DrBong; 02 April 2012 at 16:44.

Page generated in 0.05949 seconds with 11 queries