View Single Post
Old 23 March 2012, 22:06   #36
Garyc2012

Hey Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
TP7P5Fix.com is a TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) patch for running ReadADF on PCs with processors faster than 266MHz. I've attached it below.
Hi Prowler

I tried that TSR fix as well (and others), no joy, tbh the problem is I think the way it slows the CPU down, It prob grabs the cpu for a whole bunch of continuous cycles.

Also tried a borland patch that "fixed" the runtime error 200 on >266Mhz machines (Modern CPUS were so fast they caused a divide by zero error), it didn't work. All the old software (Amiga Included) made alot of use of CPU cycles for timing purposes.....not good :/

I then managed to find the source code (Pascal). The *core* of the program is 20 or so lines of assembler code. Thats why it has to run in Real DOS mode, and why TSR's would play havoc with it.

The other thing was the code wrote DIRECTLY to memory addresses as well as the video address if I remember rightly and thats another reason this will never work in a dos shell etc, it needed Real mode or linux with all other interrupts halted.

What I think would be great would be if a *Live* Linux CD could be created. Would be interesting to see what is the latest kernel it would support (Give SATA/USB support etc).

Cheap 5 parallel ports can be bought on ebay with proper UART chips.

I also tried the guys suggestion above, I used a bit of copper cat5 cable and it worked *better* than the needles removed the FDD cable and slipped one end (stripped 1cm) into the plastic connector, and I "wrapped" the other end around a needle to create a "pigs tail" curly bit of wire, straightened it a BIT and it fitted real snug into the parallel port.

Will get another look this weekend. But *really* need to get the Linux source code!

Gary

Last edited by Garyc2012; 23 March 2012 at 23:15. Reason: Fixed quote.

Page generated in 0.04958 seconds with 9 queries