View Single Post
Old 14 March 2012, 22:24   #2431
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Hm... you have thoroughly explained how EU directives makes CPU cards with CPU and memory sockets impossible.
Impossible for me and my resellers to handle, yes.

Quote:
You may have your own reasons for saying this, but if it were not false, zero instead of millions of motherboards for PCs, server blades, etc etc would be sold each year in the EU.
With quantities high enough that the stuff is counted in sea freight containers, not "number of units". In that market, you have actual stores where customers can walk into and ask a technician. I don't know about GGS Data in Sweden - do they have a store with proper hours and stuff? If they don't, then ASB computer in Spain is the only one where you can walk into with your Amiga in a bag and drop it off with the words "please repair - the caps must be replaced".

Further, all those PC mainboards have ZIF sockets. I tried to get those in PGA18, but was not successful. This leaves us with the 800-EUR puller tool.

Quote:
You exaggerated my meaning to say no warranty. But like a motherboard manufacturer, you would simply declare compliance with certain standards and guarantee the board and the components on it.
So I declare compatibility and have to deal with used and not-known-good-CPUs, inserted and extracted without the proper tools? And I have to deal with the fake print on the 68060 CPUs of DCE-made Blizzard cards?

Quote:
With such extremely hard to find, soldered RAMs as yours
Granted, it's 200MHz types, but I won't slow down just because you want to use the memories unsoldered from a DSL router (yes, they're the same pinout and mostly the same size).

Quote:
and soldered CPUs,
Not planned.

Quote:
While losing 1%, 5% or 10% of the speed of the 68060 because of some first-access wait state does not make it less modern.
I beg to differ. I think it does make it more modern if you can run the processor at the speed that it can actually execute instructions. You are right about the performance gain from fast memory access: eliminating one waitstate from the first-access penalty gave about an 8.5% increase in speed for the ACA1231 (comparison to ACA1230-42 with the difference in CPU clock factored in).

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if you supplied the cards with new 512MB DDR RAM
Like I wrote earlier: DDR is out of the question for simple electrical reasons: I can't talk to it with a 5V-tolerant CPLD. I'd have to use an FPGA with multiple IO voltages, and I really don't want to do that.

Quote:
and used, tested 68060. As long as I could replace them easily if they fail,
Again: Wishful thinking. Do you have an idea why the PGA18 puller is so expensive? It's a "built to order" thing. The company made the first unit of this century for me.

Quote:
If the used CPU (as 68060 can't be bought new) is a problem I have a business idea from the 70s on how they solved it then. But this is a tall enough wall of text for now I think.
You might want to open a new thread for that, because this one is a news thread about the ACA1230, ACA630 and ACA1231.

Jens

Page generated in 0.08743 seconds with 9 queries