View Single Post
Old 09 March 2012, 22:44   #2415
Mr B
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Of course there are RAMs that don't work. You could insert an Apple simm or a way too slow SIMM. The point that you missed is that I had no trouble buying two 32MB SIMMs for 8 EUR for my Apollo. That's it.
YOU had no trouble, so therefor there is no issues, ever. Ok, i get it. In the real world there is still the possability of something being within the right specs, and fully functional, that simply wont play ball with some pieces of hardware. It still happens to this day, that some RAMsticks doesn't work with some motherboards / CPU's.

You can already do that with a fast PC and WinUAE, or with a PPC Amiga and some software. That, however, is not a continuation of Amiga.
I'm not sure i follow your reasoning. If you got a accelerator which has a Motorola 68030@50MHz, or if you have a FPGA running the equivalent, your not going to see, hear, feel or imagine anything being different. What actually is different tho is that you can use a faster FPGA, and instead of being limited to the speedgrades that the 68030 actually was produced with, you could run one at 200MHz. (Number picked at random) The only difference here being the FPGA CPU, which as of right now is to expensive. This is NOT emulation in the same way that UAE is. This is using modern hardware to replace hard, or impossible to get bits and pieces to make new hardware for existing Amigas. It's like using a modern piece of ram instead of scavenging old ramsticks, since there simply isn't supply for it. And guess who does all of this?

I hope you understand that the reason to buy any hardware from Jens at all is because you want a continuation of Amiga?
Yeah. That guy. He uses modern RAM coz he cant find the old stuff for a good price, and he used a FPGA chip to make a complete system. Not using them for CPU's but for the custom chips, i believe. I have no doubt that once it makes financial sense to make the accelerators using FPGA's he'll make em with FPGA's. And when you buy a accelerator with a FPGA design, you wouldn't know, ever, unless someone told you.
Page generated in 0.09411 seconds with 9 queries