View Single Post
Old 27 January 2012, 13:52   #26
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
The starfield in the demo moves so fast that you could probably fake the whole thing with about 10 frames of animation in a loop (and even mirror the top and bottom half) and perhaps plot the odd big circle star to make it appear that it's not an anim.

Like a number of people on here, I don't see the big deal about this intro either. An A500 could easily do a very similar version without too much hassle.
I think a real starfield is possible using the blitter. The blitter can plot a lot of points in a frame by clever use of line mode. Just make the starfield out of lines of up to 16 stars instead of individual stars, it probably wouldn't be noticed. Use 1-pixel per scanline mode but set the modulo so that they all come out on the same line, put a random value in BLTBDAT... if you can do 50 stars in a frame you can do 500.

The sinewave scroller is trivial. I've googled to see what other people's technique is, everyone seems to suggest blitting the vertical columns one at a time, thus a 16-pixel wide section needs 16 blits. It can be done in four. Yes and still retain 1-pixel resolution. It's only blitting one bitplane each frame, the other bitplanes are just previous versions through which it cycles, making a trail effect.

The copper effects can be done by changing the palette every 20 pixels easily, use a single bitplane with a dithering pattern on it, and blit pre-rendered lines into the copperlist. The copperlist is in Chip Ram right, you can blit into it.
Page generated in 0.05139 seconds with 9 queries