View Single Post
Old 23 January 2012, 11:29   #57
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I never found platformers easy to play, but then again, maybe it was a case of not trying hard enough.

What I'm trying to say is, most of my games were pirated, and hence came bundled with a very convenient trainer. These disabled hit detection and granted me unlimited lives, unlimited energy and so on. And as a young boy who struggled with these games, of course I enabled the trainer by default!

Other games (which didn't come with a trainer) seemed easy for the most part, but then had frustratingly difficult parts thrown into the mix, seemingly in order to prevent your progress. Hudson Hawk is a good example - it's smooth going for the first three or so levels, and then you are subjected to a safe cracking twitch mini game that, I thought, was really hard. I rarely made it past this section, which was a shame, because I loved how stylised and slick that game was.

Another good example of the above point is Rainbow Islands - smooth sailing for the most part, until you hit a roadblock in the Vampire boss, whom I could never defeat.

Other platformers were just outright hard, bordering on the tedious. I recall a part in Robocop 2 were you had to land a few particular pixel perfect jumps in succession, or else it was instant death in a simmering vat of acid. I could rarely pull it off. Again, yet another shame, because I liked that game alot.

However, despite my ineptitude at platformers, I did manage to beat Gods, my favourite Amiga game ever, as well as Turrican and Toki (the latter being an achievement I am especially proud of, as I found the game quite difficult - especially the roller coaster section and the final boss). I beat these three mostly though a combination of memorising events and attack patterns, quick reflexes and sheer luck.

Just finally, I also reviewed Leander for the last installment of APoV magazine. I didn't have the time to go through it without cheats, but I will say that it seemed quite beatable, using the tactics I discussed above.

More of a shooter/beat 'em up/racer/flight sim fan when it came to Amiga games, though.

Page generated in 0.05370 seconds with 12 queries