View Single Post
Old 24 December 2011, 03:31   #5
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I will talk totally out of depth here hehehe.
What would the advantage of this really be? I think the computers we have today emulate the Amiga really fast. What would exactly be the application of this?
Imagine a 68k CPU that could run at close to current x86 speeds, and what you could do with this power. That's the potential benefit here. I say 'close to' as it's not clear what radically altering the ISA would do to the raw performance.

HD video, high speed 3D rendering, super fast compile times, pro-level audio production, etc... (software permitting). Basically it'd bring 68k performance bang up to date.

If such a scheme worked, it'd also have benefits for PPC Amiga operating systems too.

Also, I always deemed the hardest part of getting an emulated Amiga going, be it by hardware or software, is the chipset.
I've never written an Amiga emulator, so I couldn't say. On the subject of Amiga chipset emulation, there was talk in the past year or so of using a GPU to emulate the Amiga chipset functions, which is probably a fairly good approach to accelerating the performance. No code demonstrating this has been released yet though, AFAIK.
Page generated in 0.05212 seconds with 9 queries