Thread: Snakes!
View Single Post
Old 11 November 2011, 21:36   #99
clenched

Rattlesnake venom continues to overtake game victim

Level 17 the "VSN" level makes an excellent test bed for bug testing. I suggest using boring speed, unlimited lives mode and making a savestate first. This is because precise snake movement is needed and the game can lock up too. Take one bomb tile. There are four (4) sides and sub divide each side into two halves. There are eight (8) possible places to make contact with a mine. Contact with a different section can cause a different bug. These include lockups, trashing snake graphic, red ring graphic and others. For a quick test your target is the topmost yellow mine in the letter S.

1 - Approach from the top and hit the right side of top face, overwrites a 10 then lockup.
2 - Approach from the top and hit the left side of top face, overwrites a 100 then lockup.
3 - Approach from the bottom and hit the right side of bottom face, messes up snake, blue mine gfx. The 1up powerup is damaged beyond recognition.
4 - Approach from the bottom and hit the left side of bottom face, increased damage to snake gfx.

A lot of this goes unnoticed because the bulk of the memory affected consists of tiny bitmaps with lots of zeros so they were cleared anyway. I'm convinced this is a game bug, that it is due to a multiplication error, and can be in no way attributed to the salvage operation.

Page generated in 0.07430 seconds with 9 queries