View Single Post
Old 11 November 2011, 14:46   #52
Originally Posted by Lobotomika View Post
I didn't know desert / jungle strike were EHB, thanks. Too bad most of the other examples are either about static fullscreen digitized ugliness or a copper gradient. My main objection to these are that they're too situational, raw and gimmicky; like SNES mode 7. So if MD's shadow/highlight mode is also that static, it doesn't worth talking about either. EHB in desert strike is more like what I agree with. That brings possibilities to the table, some potential you can provide to the graphic artist. Also interesting to hear you could open a new screen for scoreboard and have a seperate palette there, on the same screen. So did Elfmania do this? If not, what game did?
Changing palette/resolution per scanline isn't gimmicky, it's supported by the OS, and documented in the hardware bible. Every time you drag a screen down to display another screen behind, you are using this technique, it will even show different resolutions on the same screen. It's used so often it's not even worth listing the games that use it.

'digitised ugliness' =for the poker, I agree. However Pioneer plague is a very fast shooter with 256 colours on screen, the quality of the artwork is down to the Artist, not the hardware mode. The adventure games features nice rendered graphics. Ideal for it's subject, and probably usefull for dungeon master style games s well.

You seem to be arbitrarily deciding what is a 'gimmick' SNES mode 7 is also a documented feature of the hardware. By rights then, and MD game with over 63 colours, is also a gimmick.
Page generated in 0.05435 seconds with 9 queries