View Single Post
Old 09 November 2011, 23:25   #30
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
Far from it. I owned and played the hell out of my Mega Drive when I was young, but even so, I barely know anything about the hardware. I Wikipedia'd most of that info.
Ahh

Quote:
Ehh... don't take my word for it (because I sure as hell wouldn't know), but I'm guessing that game uses a scanline-based renderer to display the graphics in faux 3D. They probably used that same technique that was used before in the first two Test Drive games, and Grand Prix Circuit for Amiga and DOS. Maybe all 3 Lotus games also used that trick to render their faux 3D graphics? Again, I wouldn't really know.
Not sure about that. I have Lotus Turbo Challenge (and other MD racers) and Street Racer used a technique that I haven't seen in any other racing game (on any format).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I think it's the same as the parallax floors in Street Fighter II (on the Mega Drive). Unlike the roads in Lotus, there are no hills in the Mega Drive and Amiga versions of Street Racer, so the image only needs to be moved horizontally a scanline at a time, but never moved up or down or stretched out. The only difference is the road texture is animated, which I guess is done with a looping, pre-rendered animation.
That seems more like it. The road textures were definately repetitive from what I remember (haven't played it in about 10 years).

Quote:
From what I've seen of the Mega Drive, only one game was ever produced on that system to use a custom chip inside the cartridge. That was Virtua Racing with that SVP chip. Unfortunately, putting special chips inside cartridges only increases the cost and complexity of the cart.
Only one game used the SVP chip (to my knowledge), but there *may* have been other enhancer chips used in MD cartridges (32X / Sega 32 aside), as Codemasters released games in J-carts (the game cartridges had an extra 2 controller ports built in to it) and Sega's Sonic & Knuckles had the ability to plug in other game carts into the top of it (it was designed for Sonic 1 to 3, but other games could be plugged in and had the same effect as if Sonic 1 was plugged in).

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Page generated in 0.06212 seconds with 9 queries