Thread: Snakes!
View Single Post
Old 01 November 2011, 00:36   #71
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
Give me half an hour. If there are no intervening posts then it will be here.
Thanks for your effort on this, mate.

Quote:
Prowler - Here are four changes for you to have a look at. Made with wip6. Original byte on left, new on right.

00005DAA: FA FF Look closely at the last S on the snakes logo when first booting. See the two lighter pixels? This change is the new data after repainting.
Yes, I had noticed that. Thanks for fixing it!

Quote:
00007529: DC 5C Fix keyboard selector that caused selector to spring back and also some wrong data to be blitted. Arrived at by comparing DEMO code to WIP code.
Thanks again!

Quote:
0000C268: 05 07 Unscramble opening picture. Arrived at by comparing DEMO data to WIP data.
I can confirm this change, which fixes the bad sector I mentioned in my last but one post, so this fix appears in the WIP7 image I have attached below.

Quote:
00051ED8: 30 08 This is just hack of level 15 that replaces the blue mine with another harmless tile. I did transplant the entire level 15 data into the DEMO (300 bytes 20*15 tiles) and it locked up too. So there is a possibility that bug could have always been there.
Good work!

Quote:
So #1 is a guess but reasonable I think. #2,#3 99% sure. #4 doubtful but better than it was.
I agree with your reasoning for changes #1 and #2, and I can confirm change #3 fixes a bad sector which I recovered earlier this evening.

Because change #4 comprises a 3-bit change, I don't think it will reverse disk corruption of the type I am seeing on this disk, so your theory that this bug could always have been there may be a good one.

Apart from change #3, which is already included in WIP7, and fixes the title screen at last, I would first like to test the effect of introducing these other changes on the status of the 8 remaining bad sectors before I include them in the next WIP.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Snakes-WIP7.zip (252.2 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by prowler; 01 November 2011 at 21:32. Reason: bits and bytes...

Page generated in 0.05743 seconds with 10 queries