View Single Post
Old 22 October 2011, 22:01   #6
desiv

Well, it answers the question as to who this machine is for....
It's for the small group of people who love AmigaOS4 and are willing and able to spend quite a bit for their machines...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that..
It's a valid user base...

It might make more sense to say something like, "You know, we could sell 100 machines to people who will pay around $3000 (with addons and software, etc..)." than to say "I think we could sell 1000 machines at $1500 each..."

I think they picked a much safer target audience...

Selling hardware nowadays is tricky.. In order to compete in a cost effective way, you need a large run to keep the price down, but I don't think the Amiga market has that..

You have lots of people who like the old machines...
But, even if you made a machine that sold for $1000, many of them will say "it's not 68k, so I'm not interested"....

To be fair, even if the X1000 sold for $500, I probably wouldn't get one...
I'd rather spend $500 on my older machines..

I haven't spent more than that on anything new recently.
Wife's laptop was $400 ish.. She loves that, and I got her old one. ;-)
True, I spent about $1000 on my main PC when I got it, but that was ages ago (hint, it's an AMD1800)... I don't see myself spending anywhere near that on ANY PC anymore..

It's a tough market nowadays...

More than ever, you need to make your money on software, and that means making your software run on cheap hardware...

Would I spend $100 on a new AmigaOS that ran on Intel (or ARM, as those are pretty cheap and look to be supported for a long time)...

Hmm.. That's a distinct possibility...
(Especially if it ran on my AMD1800, as I don't use that much anymore.. ;-)

desiv

Page generated in 0.05639 seconds with 9 queries