View Single Post
Old 25 September 2011, 15:24   #362
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
And again you've hit the nail on the head with that. It's taken so damned long to get the hardware that wasn't dated in '08 to production in meaningful amounts that it's of interest only to people who like to hack around; if they'd got production going early on then we'd be on more current hardware by now.
Yeah, it's sad really. But i guess thats why big company's shell out large amounts of dollar, just to get products that actually are ready for delivery when they start making them. This started out as a dream toy for grownup (or not so grownup) boys.

Quote:
There is an upgrade in the offing (1GHz+ CPU clock by default, more RAM and a better SGX as a drop-in upgrade for the current SOC - so no redesign of the PCB necessary) but the forums pretty much erupted in righteous indignation at the perceived "splitting of the community" that would result in. So we'll have to wait for Pandora 2 for that
Yeah, i saw that. Cant say i blame the current owners for getting upset. In one swoop every "old" Panda would get obsolete. Developers would target their skills at more CPU and memory in a heartbeat, and the old version would be a dead duck floating in stinkin' water.

Quote:
So long as they make the second iteration a clamshell design, I'll be happy.
I'm leaning the other way. I don't want a clamshell, it makes the touchscreen cumbersome to use. And, as i argued back when there was design-suggestions on the table, the hinge system simply isn't up for letting you poke and prod the screen, so it lets the screen change angle. I'd prefer a sliding keyboard, but really, over a clamshell, i'd even take a onscreen keyboard. And for gods sake, get rid on the second analog stick.

Oh, and if you guys needed the confirmation, i'm nuts about the concept, i just don't approve of the current reincarnation, and the time it has taken first batchers to get their units. I mean, com on, there are still people on the forum not having received their Panda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
You claim its outdated yet you compare it to phone tech in a phone that costs more and then you complain its too expensive. So I was just pointing out illogical your claims look to me...
Not sure about where you live, but around here i can get a iPhone 3GS, the 8GB version, from my prepaid ISP for about 50-60 Euro. It's then coded for my service provider only, and thats about it. As expected, if i'd go for a monthly plan instead of my prepaid, i'd get it for free. Well, that's what they called and tried to get me to "upgrade" to, a few weeks back. In all honesty, i think it's a limited offer, to clear out units in store as a measure of making room for the new model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I agree completely on the premium thing by the way, that was a real dick move. I hope now that the UK guy is backing away from the project and letting the German guy run it things will go a lot smoother, if they dont run out of money first.
Craig ain't going to back out of this, if he thinks there is money to be made. EvilDragon (Michael Mrozek) is stuck with him, so to speak. And poor MWeston, (Michael, his name to) have pretty much been stuck with the hardware issues. Not sure if MWeston likes the idea of starting over.
B!

Page generated in 0.09261 seconds with 9 queries