View Single Post
Old 16 November 2002, 15:03   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgûl
Hmm, never heard of that virus. What did it do? I always thought Saddam and Lamer Exterminator were the nastiest?
This was quite nasty...the worst Amiga virus created that I am aware of. It first appeared on BBS's in a util called Modem Checker. When executed, it shuts down SnoopDos if it's running, tells you your modem is good, then replaces the loadwb command with the actual virus itself. So during your next bootup, it launches from the startup-sequence, then waits a while before doing its nasty task, which is to low level format any writeable drive on your system. The worst part of this is that it fills the tracks with the word FUCK. Not much chance of recovering any of your files after such an attack. A util called FuckCheck was, I think, the first util to combat this scourge. The way I protected myself from the wrath of Fuck was to rename LoadWB to GoWB and to modify my startup-sequence accordingly. Then I put a dummy loadwb in my C dir in case I got infected, that way I could get the bug but it would never execute.

Actually, now that I think about it, I either have or had ModemChecker somewhere in my old shit...

Anyway, Saddam and LE were sissies by comparison.

Page generated in 0.04451 seconds with 11 queries