View Single Post
Old 05 September 2011, 23:45   #6
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Actually part of the fun is spending some time investigating .

Now that the question has been raised it might be very interesting to know if there is indeed a link between the PD developers and the commercial DI and if yes how it was established.*

Meanwhile:
- I have checked the review listed on HoL (Génération 4 magazine, available here, page 074: http://www.abandonware-magazines.org...=390&album=oui )

1) some people might want to have a look at that page and the following as it is some round up of the arkanoid/breakout clones from that time.

2) nothing much of interest and nothing at all related to DI

3) more importantly, it is very likely that this is the review for a different Amiganoid game.

The screenshot from the review and the one from the DBS on HoL look completely different.
Besides, the issue of the magazine including the review dates from 1988 (March/April) whereas the game in HoL is listed as a 1993 game.

Therefore there are probably 2 games called Amiganoid.
The other possibility I can imagine is that the Amiganoid reviewed is an old revision and that the one in HoL is a later revision. That would involve a lot of cosmetic modifications from what I can judge though.
Another thing to investigate .

- The "nice" DI logo is in Benefactor. Check the longplay at 02:20:
[ Show youtube player ]

Back on that matter the PD logo would make me think of an early draft. Perhaps even scanned from a paper version and then colorized on computer, while the "nice" logo would be a full rework?

* : Ah, just found an interesting video by s2325 (thanks for another of your recordings ) which is actually of Amiganoid:
[ Show youtube player ]

In the first 30 seconds you can see previews of forthcoming DI games. More importantly, just after (0:34) s2325 clicks on About and you get details about the game.
To sum up what is said, if you intend to use the game you must buy a new DI game.

So I would conclude that this is legitimately a DI game.
I still wonder if Amiganoid may have started outside of DI and was later taken under DI's wing or not.

Page generated in 0.04574 seconds with 11 queries