View Single Post
Old 18 May 2011, 13:54   #1
A604: New chipmem expansion - and more!

After the A603 was sold out, I got a lot of requests, because people wanted to add a flickerfixer to their A600. However, many people expressed their wish to leave the floppy drive installed, and the more experienced users did complex modifications to accomplish that.

Time for me to re-think the concept of the A603. Here's what I did:

- make it smaller! Only a single memory chip and a single logic chip
- flip it around: Component side is "up" now
- re-position the Indivision socket, tilt it in a way that it fits under the keyboard
- add a second clockport

Clockports can't be arranged in a way that they can take A1200 hardware directly; only products with cables are supported (Delfina, Silversurfer limited edition, Catweasel MK2, Subway). However, those cables also take up space, and with the constrained space inside of an A600, you really need to think about where to put all the cables and boards.

That's why the A604 comes with a small riser card, which is mounted using the floppy drive's screw. The Subway can be plugged into that riser card directly, without a cable. The second clockport even reaches 60% more transfer speed, which translates either to higher USB transfer rates, or to lower CPU load.

Tha A604 is a very tight fit. We're still busy building custom tools to achieve extremely low assembly tolerances. With the component side up, the board is so low on the trapdoor that special cut-outs had to be made.

The recommended retail price is 49,90 EUR incl. VAT. The A604 will be available in the second half of june 2011 from all known resellers. I encourage everyone to shop locally!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A604_subway_Indivision.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	28698   Click image for larger version

Name:	A604_riser.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	28699   Click image for larger version

Name:	detail_RTC_trapdoor_fit.jpg
Views:	624