View Single Post
Old 30 October 2002, 07:26   #9
Originally posted by Bernd
I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly, but does this mean that also contributors of dumps won't be able to play the games on emulators unless they provide scans of all the paperwork? Or can the files generated by the dumping tool later be used in UAE without having them analyzed and/or modified by the Caps team?
Yes and no. Basically the idea was that games that we do not have scans for will be lower priority for release. We own thousands of games ourselves and will scan them as we go. For games that do not have scans, we will probably list them on the website as "waiting on scans for release" - then people can contribute and we can release the game.

There a couple of forseeable exceptions:

1) Companies that just want to provide their games on the website - the dumps will go out even if we do not have the scans.

2) If a game is really rare and we don't think we will be able to get scans for it - or at least a long time.

However you do raise a good point - one we didn't think of. We will have to discuss it. Thanks for your input! I don't think it will be much of a problem to start with though - seeing as many games will have to wait purely because we need to find the time to get to them.

Disks dumped by the dumping tools will never be playable in UAE. no. There are various reasons for this as listed in the Feb 02 WIP (I think) - basically we want to make sure the images are 100% true to the original, not modified, error'ed or have a virus. There are also some technical things preventing it - dump files were never designed to be runnable and contain data only really pertinent to (in a form for) analysation.

Last edited by fiath; 30 October 2002 at 07:31.
Page generated in 0.05118 seconds with 9 queries