View Single Post
Old 06 March 2011, 20:59   #25
Linux snob

Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
Ok you want me to bring your exemple in consideration, fine.
No, I just practice to get better at touch typing

Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
To say that pirated games do not hurt a company just because it doesn't hurt them "to much" is just wrong.
I never said so. What I say is that while a company misses some profit in the short run, it still may pay in the long run.

Larry sold poorly, moving just 4,000 copies in its first month. But word of mouth spread quickly, and it became the third best-selling computer game in America in July 1988, just over a year after its initial release. Millions of pirated copies were played around the world, too. In one RetroGamer interview, Lowe remarked that a Russian computer consultant had told him Larry was so widespread in Russia that it seemed like it was a part of DOS.
I think it is safe to assume (prove me wrong, if you like) that "word of mouth" and "pirated copies" go hand in hand here. It was one big advertising campaign. Sierra hired more employees and made five sequels.

The game was heavily copied, because Sierra claims they sold more hint books for this title than actual games.
So even the pirated copies generated revenue. Hint books were a very important factor back in the day when there was no internet.

I think all this is in a broad sense on topic of this thread (what piracy meant for the Amiga). If you care, great. If you don't, that's fine with me too.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 06 March 2011 at 22:19. Reason: typo
Page generated in 0.05557 seconds with 9 queries