View Single Post
Old 06 March 2011, 17:50   #18
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
C'mon.. You do not really beleive what you wrote here, do you ?

Thats just some wish thinking. Piracy will NEVER help to sell more games, NEVER !
It's impossible to know because it's all theoretical, just because someone pirates a game doesn't mean that they would have otherwise bought it, most of those who pirate are generally the poorest in society and could not afford to buy it even if they wanted to.

Back in the PS1 days I used to tell friends at school all about games I had 'obtained' and a week or so later they would own an original, so in some cases developers do gain more sales because of piracy and word of mouth.

Piracy is also used by a lot of people as a tool similar to game demos, so a certain percentage of pirated downloads will also translate into real purchases that may not have been made without having first tried it.

Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
And about massive advertising: We have the internet, it's cheap and great for that purpose.
True, but still many people would not even know a game existed unless they first saw it advertised on TV.

I personally think lower prices would help to reduce piracy and increase sales and they'd probably make similar profits as a result, but 40 seems to have become the accepted norm no matter how poor a game is.
Page generated in 0.05030 seconds with 9 queries