View Single Post
Old 25 January 2011, 20:57   #1718
Originally Posted by p@rity View Post
I seem to have a bit of an issue with the socket on the A630/25. I installed a 630/30 on another machine earlier and noticed that the socket had to be pushed to ensure it covered the CPU all the way.

With the 25 version though, if I push it all the way, a click sounds and the A600 doesn't boot (white screen, no disk activity). When I lift it slightly, the system works great and has worked for days. However, this morning it started generating a Watchdog error (caps lock blinking). After wiggling the accelerator a bit, the A600 started to boot normal again and runs solid without any errors for hours on end.

The 68000 CPU legs were cleaned before installation, so I can rule out corrossion. Also, the Caps in the system have all been replaced (properly).

Amiga 600HD (rev. 2B)
A601 Memory Expansion (added and removed to test)
Brand new capacitor set
Classic WB Green Alien
External Rom 3.1 (tested)
Internal Rom 2.1 (tested)
Bit late reply, but the accelerator shouldn't be able to wiggle at all (if that's what you meant). I'm assuming you've checked that the socket is flush to the motherboard along the socket edges. IIRC I had to file the socket (of ANOTHER board!) to make the socket flush due to R102, a resistor near the 68000's front left corner. You've probably checked already, just an idea.

If the socket is okay and you've read that folded majig (gave your Amiga some alcohol and screwed it moderately), you've done your part.

(To be honest I've a hard time to see how the infamous microfractures both make a 68000 screwed-on add-on utterly unstable and also make the 68000 stable as soon as you remove the add-on, main reason for posting was the resistor thing and checking the socket's flush. Certainly it doesn't feel right to have the socket not flush to make it work.)
Page generated in 0.06755 seconds with 9 queries