View Single Post
Old 10 January 2011, 19:14   #104
Just wanted to offer words of encouragement to Dreedo - I started my website just a few months ago and it has been very rewarding and I have learnt a lot in the process - here are some tips to help you develop the site:

Think what is the unique aspect of your website why would people go to your site and not other sites - my site focuses amiga public domain games ( as these tend to be forgotten by other sites which just focus mainly on commercial games e.g. lemon amiga + HOL although recently there has been an increase of focus on public domain games by these sites.

Include a comments textbox or polls on your website to get feedback - this helped me to focus attention on reviews and videos rather than disk images which was how the site started.

Have a reason for users to return to your website - I write monthly reviews of public domain games that I have played the previous month.
Network - I have mentioned my website on other forums - using a tracking system you can see which forums are most interested in your site - EAB is top for my website followed by Amigaworld and then Lemon Amiga
Engage in forum posts which link to your website e.g. I try to reply to posts about public domain games.

Learn about search engines - have you registered your website with the main search engines e.g. Google and bling - this helps users find your site quickly by typing in key words - as your popularity increases your website should increase in the return page.

Don't be affraid to keep your website simple in design - mine uses a simple blue and white (amiga colours) but doesn't have lots of images and animations -

Consider your navigation - do you have breadcrumbs showing the user how they got to their current page and how to return to the previous page.

Don't be put off by negative comments - unfortunately there will always be one person who is eager to criticise - remember all the wonderful sites we use had to start from humble beginnings. The two questions I think you need to focus on to improve the site is what is unique about the site and why will people want to return each week?
Page generated in 0.05143 seconds with 9 queries