Thread: PFS3 Install
View Single Post
Old 20 December 2010, 20:19   #23
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, but that was without having a serialized partition to boot from. I need to have it so I can use PFSformat without "Invalid copy" messages. I can't take a fresh HD and make the PFS3 partitions because then I can't format them.
I am not sure what you mean by a serialized partition. The serial number is stored in the program code of PFS3/ds, not on a partition. After installation either PFS3 works or it doesn't. This cannot be changed by converting a partition to another file system.

The only problem I can think of is with HDToolbox: it does not care about the MaxTransfer issue of scsi.device. So if the entire partition table with RDB, all partitions and all file system code added is bigger than 128 KB, HDToolbox will corrupt it (or more precise, scsi.device will corrupt it because HDToolbox tries to save everything with one big write command).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I wonder that thomas hasn`t noticed the using of HDToolbox and HDInstTools at the "same" time. Maybe I`ve skiped that.
It shouldn't matter which program is used. HDInstTools is the one which is incompatible to all other programs. You notice this at once because it does not show any partitions on a drive which was initialized with another program.

So if you are happy with HDInstTools, it's no problem to switch to another program. Switching back to HDInstTools might be more problematic. But if it sees all partitions, then you are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I use first HdToolBox because HDinstTools doesn't let you change the dostype
HDInstTools lets you change the dostype in the same manner as HDToolbox does. The only difference is that it does not require you to enter some cryptic hex codes but allows you to enter ASCII text like PFS\3.

Page generated in 0.08941 seconds with 9 queries