View Single Post
Old 05 October 2002, 09:15   #39
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well put, Shatterhand!

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Games are like they are today because PEOPLE BUY THEM THAT WAY. The game market is growing noth shrinking. Just because you dont like the way its going doesnt mean everybody else does.
Make up your mind - you keep flipping back and forth between popularity and quality. One does not equal the other, so please refrain from lumping them together as if popularity is the equal to satisfactory product. Because Britney Spears has a larger fan club does not make her more innovative than Mozart! The opinions about the differences between machines are my own; if you don't agree with them that doesn't mean I am forcing them on you simply by stating them. I am every bit entitled to my take on my subjective standards as you are, despite the way you respond here pounding everything down as if it's the gospel.
Quote:
If doom 3 came out and nobody purchased it I am sure ID would try something different, but when they know they can make a few more million doing the same old shit they WILL.
That doesn't make it a good product! Do you work in the accounting firm of the software company or play the games? Look how many Police Academy sequels came out (just because people kept buying it). At the end of the day, it's an artistic disaster in spite of its popularity at the boxoffice.
Quote:
I am sure M$ could upgrade thier floppy drivers if people actually still used thier floppy for anything these days. BTW I just loaded my email, launched 2 new sites in IE and browsed the HD on my server all while win2k is formatting my 3.5" 1.44 floppy in the background (light on the drive never went out). Does your amiga have a cartridge port? My c64 does... dont compare new machines with functions on older ones that are OBSOLETE.
Well I see people having to use floppies enough to merit some consideration. At our publishing bureau, people still bring in floppies, zip disks and CD's. If it's not supported, then why is it there? Or better yet, why does it now work for you in W2k? Should this have not been an easy fix like way back in the 90's? Glad to know they finally got around to figuring out how to simultaneously make this work. But Toni already pointed this off before you (that certain versions of the OS allow it). Why do you tell me not to compare new machines with functions on older ones? Floppy drives are not exclusive to new machines. And anyhow, isn't your entire reply a comparison of new and old machines? Double standard...
Quote:
Pre made code is nice because its usually somewhat optimized and checked for bugs before its sold. Do you want to rewrite common networking routines every time you make a program that uses the LAN? No you want to grab the common building blocks and then make your specific function work.
Somewhat optimized, huh. I guess I'm supposed to go "Wow!" at this? Checked for bugs...is this a selling point? That should be a given. And why the analogy with the networking routines? I said in my message that pre-fab code has its place, just not in games. Stick with responding to what I say and not some elongated diatribe!
Quote:
As far as a demo scene goes, I play games not demo's. The DEMO's show that if you have nothing else going on on the machine you can get some nice looking graphics function up and running.
I think a lot of people would disagree with that particular cop-out. If you only like games and not demos, that's your call...why even respond about it? But to foolishly claim that demos only exist to show the machine has nothing going on is such a contrived, ignorant statement, I am shocked that you hit the Submit Reply button without editing that part out first.
Quote:
Too bad you cant do that in a game because it takes 100% of the machine for that function.
Hmmm...a lot of Amiga games were created by coders from the demo scene and they used those tricks of the trade to produce arcade quality games on the Amiga. Which is part of why the Amiga legacy is so strong, even in this (clearly) jaded age. Just because the PC can't take it down to a machine level with Windows running underneath it all does not mean that machines are not capable of doing this.
Quote:
What impresses me on the PC is ... [SNIP!]
I really don't care what impresses people about the PC. Sorry, that's just me. But I am curious what (if anything) impresses you about the Amiga?
Quote:
People need to have an open mind and use the best platform for what they want to do, this usually means using more then 1 companies product or having dedicated machines for specific tasks. Anybody that sits there spouting off the amiga is the best game machine in the world is stuck in a time vacuum while the rest of the world is moving on.
Did somebody here spout off that the Amiga was the best game machine in the world? Point it out to me, because I missed it. You are the one who needs to have an open mind. I express what I feel is superior about Amiga - in response to your comment that PC hardware can do almost anything. To which I disagreed and stated it could do some things. I use various different apps for each job. In audio alone, I have used practically every app in the book and most of them fall way short - especially the DirectX stuff you are so fond of. And even as I stated this before, you still try to pidgeon-hole me into this stereotypical Amiga hippie who won't use anything else! To say nothing of trying to sell some point dedicated machines for different tasks. A game PC, an audio PC, a work PC, an internet PC...erm, I'll pass.

Page generated in 0.06830 seconds with 9 queries