View Single Post
Old 24 September 2010, 02:12   #99
desiv

While I agree, there's not much point arguing with the ironclad reasoning CosmicFrog presented...

It seems as tho there are 2 parts to the Amiga. Hardware and OS.
And you have to decide (for yourself) how much of "the computer" is which..

Is the Amiga just the hardware? Similar architecture makes it the same computer?
68k Amiga's are Amiga Computers. 68K Macs are Macintosh Computers.

Or is it just the software? AmigaOS running on any platform is an Amiga?
Or does the OS require software compatibility to be the same..

How compatible does it have to be? Kickstart versions broke apps, and I doubt (although I never tried it) that you can install and run AmigaOS 3 on an Amiga 500 with Kickstart 1.2... But I think most people would call those the same OS, just different versions..

For me I think it's a bit of both...

Give me a piece of hardware that can run most (you always lose some old programs with OS updates) AmigaOS (1.3 - 3.x) transparently.
Now, that can be emulated or not.. As long as it's good emulation and it's transparent, as an end user, I don't care..

Also, there are certain features that I consider "core" to the Amiga and Amiga OS.. Almost all seem to be no problem, but one seems to be an issue for the new version on the new hardware.
Draggable screens with different resolutions and/or color depths.

To me, that was always something I went out of my way to show people on my Amiga. It's core to it's multitasking and it's identity, as far as I'm concerned..

You should me a computer that does those things and I'll call it an Amiga (or Amiga clone if you prefer).

I still probably won't buy it as it'll probably be too expensive, but that's another issue.. ;-)

But at the same time, I really don't care if someone else calls their computer an Amiga either...

If it gives us more threads with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Then, I'm all for it!!!

desiv

Page generated in 0.06207 seconds with 9 queries