View Single Post
Old 23 September 2010, 13:26   #83
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
c'mon now so Windows 7 is not really Windows because it can't run Windows 3.1 programs
Iím talking about hardware, not about operating systems here. Machines such as the SAM arnít Amigas, theyíre not even called Amigas, theyíre called SAMs! This is the same as the Draco: It runs AmigaOs 3.something, I think, but it has none of the Amiga custom hardware and is therefore not an Amiga.

Machines that have to use emulation to run Amiga software arenít Amigas, or youíd be able to call a peecee an Amiga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
go on over to os4depot and see that there are all kinds of programs that require a MINIMUM of AmigaOS4.x to run...the fact we can even run Classic stuff on newer AmigaOS machines is pretty cool and makes us alot better off than modern Windows users trying to load up 20 year old software
AmigaOs4.x is an operating system, itís not an Amiga, just like AmigaOs 1.x to 3.x isnít an Amiga, either. The OS doesnít make an Amiga, the hardware does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
The Amiga had to evolve
I donít think going towards PPC+peecee components is evolution.

Quote:
You in particular always seem to stand by this declaration... but it is seriously flawed... how much do you think the IBM componentry has changed from say the 286, what core components do you think were in that design that should have remained are in the moderm PC now?
But a SAM has nothing that the original Amigas offered, and itís not even called an Amiga in the first place. Amigas stopped being made around 15 years ago, and there has never been anything since.
Quote:
Would it make you feel better if the Amiga had not come to a stand still and over the years the chips and direction of the Amiga Hardware gradually phased out these items you dearly cling too... see my point?
Canít say I cling to anything, but no, that wouldíve ruined the while Amiga concept completely. If that wouldíve happened, I wouldíve just bought a peecee.
Quote:
It would have happened theres no doubt about it... to protest against this is idealism based on a stationary belief and no doubt a personal choice...
Iím not protesting against SAMs, Iím just saying theyíre not Amigas, thatís all.
Quote:
I think alot of you people are simply game players and possibly emulation types who have become interested in the real Amiga hardware, and there is nothing wrong with this but it just explains the mentality, and alot frown upon the modern solution simply because of price and it offers nothing for you!
Iíve used my Amiga as my main and only machine until 2005. Although I donít frown upon modern solutions (which are lightyears behind current technology), they donít offer me anything at all, except the ability to use AOS4. Great.

The whole SAM concept is flawed: very overpriced compared to peecees, and highly underspecced compared to peecees, and for what? So you can run AOS4? What's so fantastic about AOS4 anyway (real question, I've never used AOS4)?

Page generated in 0.09373 seconds with 9 queries