View Single Post
Old 21 September 2010, 00:03   #72
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterland View Post
They just tried to follow Sonic's footsteps, the idea of Zool and Superfrog being the new Amiga flagships/mascottes always felt like an insult to an amiga game purist to me..
Exactly, the last thing that I'd want for a system would be for it to be represented by a cheap cash-in on something that popularized another system. Which is exactly what those games were. Why couldn't people think of the Amiga as the brainier alternative to consoles with more in-depth platform games like Benefactor as opposed to Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel? I enjoy a silly jump-'n'-run game as much as the next guy, but I'd take Leander over one of those any day.

Although I don't think that anything on the Amiga can match Earthworm Jim as an action game, that one's pure perfection. It would have been neat to see some American console developers try their hand at the Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
After thinking a bit about it, i agree with you on that one.
But to get a slow scroll on low resolution screen, it will give some kind of blurriness instead of choppiness.
Not really. It's just slow. I speak as someone who has played numerous slow, smooth-scrolling games.

Quote:
Taken a whole, Gods is a coding masterpiece,

I guess that the enemies and automatic difficulty adjustment are pretty nifty, but almost everything else is worthless.

Quote:
but i agree with you, maybe because it has St roots that the scroll is not that perfect.
The Bitmap Brothers were some of the laziest developers around when it came to Amiga conversions; you got nicer sound samples and nothing else. But even Gods looks (and sounds) great next to Magic Pockets.

Quote:
About hardware limitation, it allowed to create some great games (metal gear is an example, i read Hideo Kojima saying that because the hardware was limited, it allowed him to design the game as it is known).
I see. The flick-screen design does give it a certain character that it would otherwise lack. But you'll see that that design was a workaround in the first place, he didn't try to do real scrolling because he knew that it wouldn't work, whereas Gods DOES use real scrolling, and it doesn't work, even though it should. Like I said, it's bad coding that works against the game's design, and there's no excuse for that.

Quote:
For example, look at PC now, so much power, you can do anything with it, while a good thing, it has mainly turned many games to fast boring action games.
You could say the same thing about movies, actually. Just compare the Star Wars prequels to the original trilogy. Or Avatar to Aliens, for that matter.

Page generated in 0.11452 seconds with 9 queries