View Single Post
Old 19 September 2010, 21:34   #47
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
No problem with that, but you should reconsider that emphasis bit. I hope that you at least agree that Flashback isn't mainly about running and jumping?
Of course it isn't, but there's WAY too much of it for it to not be a platform game. Now, something like Rubicon, which is basically boss fights with one or two platforms between them, that's where we can start thinking of it less as a platform game and more as a pure run 'n' gun. But Flashback is a far cry from Curse of Enchantia. I'd say that Dizzy is the borderline for that kind of distinction, but even it's still a platform game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
You can't just say "Don't give me any crap about the emphasis being on the puzzles or anything", because that is an important point. As I've said elsewhere in another thread, a 'true' platform game has it's emphasis on platforming (Mario, Rainbow Islands, NZS). The jumping from platform to platform IS the emphasis and something that gets progressively more difficult through the game. Lots of games that have platforms in them don't do this.
I don't see how that has to be the case. Even going by the genre's name itself, it's obvious that the presence of platforms is what makes a platform game (or "platformer", although I think that that name is really stupid); that's how you get stuff as diverse as LittleBigPlanet and Qwak under the same classification.

Quote:
To critisise a game for something that was never meant to be it's primary goal is literally missing the point.
Well, you could say that Donkey Kong's emphasis is avoiding barrels and climbing ladders, but people still classify it as a platform game.

Quote:
Interceptor has shooting elements. Doesn't make it a shmup.
So does Doom, but there's more to a shoot-em-up than shooting; it's also about the control method. Whereas a platform game only needs the control method in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
The God's scrolling works perfectly, it not perfect, but it has the right speed.
Who cares about the speed when it's so choppy?

Quote:
I think that if gods had smooth scrolling, it may result in a different game, maybe not better.
Wait, you're seriously saying that not being choppy would make Gods WORSE? What?!

Quote:
(the genesis and snes had smooth scroll, and these versions were awful, fast and gods lost it's appeal).
Smooth != fast. What the console ports did wrong does not negate what they did right.

Quote:
There are a lot of smooth scrolling crap games on the amiga.
Your point? Unless they're bad because of their scrolling (which would be a very stupid thing to say), that's irrelevant. They'd certainly be worse if they were choppy.

Page generated in 0.05900 seconds with 9 queries