View Single Post
Old 19 September 2010, 13:10   #27
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Excuse me while I move Flashback from my "Platform games" folder to my "Rotoscoped action-adventure-shooting-stealth games with RPG elements that just happen to feature running, jumping, and platforms" folder. All joking aside, how can a game with said elements not be a platform game? Don't give me any crap about the emphasis being on the puzzles or anything, because there's loads of other stuff, and because literally every platform game ever made has something besides the underlying platform structure. I suppose that Brian the Lion isn't a platform game either? I mean, you can punch enemies, like in a beat-em-up, right? Therefore, it isn't a platform game, and anyone who says that it is has missed the point completely.
You can't just say "Don't give me any crap about the emphasis being on the puzzles or anything", because that is an important point. As I've said elsewhere in another thread, a 'true' platform game has it's emphasis on platforming (Mario, Rainbow Islands, NZS). The jumping from platform to platform IS the emphasis and something that gets progressively more difficult through the game. Lots of games that have platforms in them don't do this. To critisise a game for something that was never meant to be it's primary goal is literally missing the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
...how can a game with said elements not be a platform game?
Interceptor has shooting elements. Doesn't make it a shmup.

Page generated in 0.12676 seconds with 9 queries