View Single Post
Old 07 September 2010, 23:49   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narf the Mouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I think it just reads a sector at a time and overwrites the old data with the new, even if the new data is less reliable than the old.
Not fully, no. I think it does keep some - Green sectors, at least.
That's good to hear. Although I own Catweasels I, III and IV, I don't have much experience of using them because I think low level operations like disk imaging are best performed on a machine where the disk format is fully supported by the operating system, i.e., Amiga formatted disks on an Amiga, Macintosh formatted disks on a Mac, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narf the Mouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
What you describe as a better alternative (i.e., adding reliable data from each read to past reads) sounds more like very expensive forensic quality disk imaging software!
Very expensive as in hundreds or as in thousands?
The kind of software I'm really talking about would be capable of reading data hundreds or thousands of times from flaky sectors, storing the results of individual reads, and making the data available for bit-by-bit analysis for the derivation, on a maximum likelihood basis, of the disk's contents before the bit rot set in.

I guess you could name your price, depending on exactly what features you require. There would not be a huge demand for this kind of software, or the hardware to run it on and the amount of storage required, so it's likely to be in the thousands rather than hundreds I would have thought.

Page generated in 0.05021 seconds with 9 queries