View Single Post
Old 24 August 2010, 10:53   #23
Olaf Barthel
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Roadshow was written for PowerPC class processors with gigabytes of RAM.
Actually, it was written for the kind of Amiga hardware commonly available in 2001. I developed it on my trusty A3000UX, but it worked fine on a plain vanilla A1200HD running OS 3.1, with a PCMCIA Ethernet card installed. Of course, the more memory you can throw at the network I/O, the more throughput you can squeeze out of the stack (within limits, of course: the networking hardware will only go so fast).

Also what would the driver class structure be? All existing SANA-II drivers? If it is a new driver scheme then what hardware will have drivers?
I did not reinvent the wheel. It's SANA-II, and nothing else. Curiously, Roadshow outperforms Miami on the same hardware, even with Miami using its custom MNI drivers.

What would be the advantages over Genesis (aka AmiTCP) & Miami? IPV6? ZeroConf? VPN? Firewall? IPSec?
Compared to AmiTCP it's a more modern TCP/IP stack. AmiTCP is based upon an early 1987/1988 4.3BSD TCP/IP stack, whereas Roadshow uses code that was released around 1994. Roadshow has a built-in DHCP client, which AmiTCP has not. Roadshow also supports ZeroConf for network interface address assignment in the absence of a DHCP server (neither AmiTCP nor Miami does that). Roadshow also supports a firewall, specifically Darren Reed's ip filter package.

Compared to Miami and AmiTCP, Roadshow features significantly higher data throughput using the same drivers. For example, with Holger's own ppp.device Roadshow runs faster than Miami does. Roadshow comes with its own PPP and PPPoE drivers, by the way.

Unlike Miami, Roadshow does not have a GUI. You would be editing configuration files, just like with AmiTCP. But unlike AmiTCP, Roadshow detects changes made to the configuration files at runtime and will reread them automatically. You will not need to restart the TCP/IP stack after making changes. Roadshow also does not come with its own SSL implementation, but AmiSSL works just fine (this is what OS4 uses, but a plain 68k version of AmiSSL has been available for a while, too).

As for IPv6, VPN and IPSec, that's way out of our league on the Amiga, and this is how things are probably going to stay for a while. Roadshow implements none of these, but it doesn't make prevent eager developers from developing or deploying VPN or IPSec. There's an SDK, which has been around for a while.

Miami is a bit of a pain to set up but once working it has relatively low CPU overhead and things such as NAT and DHCP.
The NAT requires a bit of ip filter config file wrangling, and DHCP works out of the box with Roadshow.

CPU usage should be better than with AmiTCP, because of how Roadshow internally separates the kernel operations from the user code operations. AmiTCP has an elaborate set of procedures for that which mimick the original BSD interrupt handling. Roadshow has none of that and never drops into Forbid() at all when dealing with I/O.

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 24 August 2010 at 10:57. Reason: AmiSSL notes added
Page generated in 0.05496 seconds with 9 queries