View Single Post
Old 22 August 2010, 23:02   #193
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Q1: Is a 68020 core (Natami has one or elsewhere?) feasible in a realistic timeframe?
Depends what "realistic" means. 2 years? 5 years? If you want it within 1-year then it depends who is paying for the development. Realistically probably not not.

Quote:
Q2: How fast a 68020 could you make, including any speed increases you could get from the FPGA core and memory access tweaks?
Which FPGA? We had this discussion. The bigger & faster the FPGA the more expensive it would be. You really have to choose a price and then try and fit a core to that FPGA but seeing as how no core exists right now, no-one knows.

Quote:
Q3: How much RAM could you give it?
How many pins do you have on the FPGA? Maximum would probably be the entire high memory area (anything over 16Mbytes and less than 4GBytes) but I do not know what the AmigaOS limitations are.

Quote:
Could you release a fast 68020 softcore based accelerator that came with 128M or more of RAM?
I don't think so, not at an acceptable price. But no-one knows what FPGA resources you need so which FPGA to use hence no-one knows the price.

Quote:
Would there be enough benefit to an Amiga 1200 with a fast 68020 and GOBs of RAM?
Not for me (and the vast majority?) I mean on an Amiga, anything over 128Mbytes is really just showing off The Amiga programs I've used do not benefit from much over 32Mbytes. Ok so you may find one or two but not many. Certainly non the average Amiga user will want to use.

Quote:
Q4: (Still thinking) Could you design it to be upgradable?
Depends how much flexibility is done with the PCB (more flexibility = higher price). As for replacing the FPGA. Probably not.

Last edited by alexh; 22 August 2010 at 23:09.

Page generated in 0.06137 seconds with 9 queries