View Single Post
Old 20 September 2002, 23:42   #28
Zone Friend

Damn, I answered that question a long time ago. The BIG DIFFERENCE is that the PPC architecture is old and painfully showing its limitations in its current form. And while Apple and IBM are moving to discard the old and move on to a new more robust PPC platform, A1 is looking to sell un-upgradeable, end of life products to Amiga faithfuls.
As you correctly point out, POWER4 systems are pretty much vaporware now. If you want to create a custom hardware to run your OS (which is required to fund the development of the OS) and want to stay on a big endian CPU, what choices are there apart from PPC? Let me spell it out for you: NONE

I answered this too. "They suck" because they're selling products that are end of life as a starting point for a new Amiga.
That's simply bullshit. You have a Mac and you're going to use it for a few years until you upgrade to whatever is available then. I'll do the same. There's no problem here.

I'm fine with custom hardware, but a disposable motherboard is not the way to go.
Excuse me, didn't you just sell your complete G4 motherboard to buy a dual G4 motherboard? It seems that for you disposable motherboards are the way to go?

3rd party hardware developers are locked out. No one to go to but Eyetech for the hardware. And they want it that way.
Bullshit. It's not Amiga's/Hyperion's fault that Merlancia dropped all their projects. And there is the SharkPPC range (the combination Mediator + SharkPPC will be able to work as a standalone computer, it doesn't need a classic Motherboard attached). And there's another solution still not announced publicly.

Don't you get it, it's not that PPC sucks, it's Eyetech/A1 for selling closed systems so only they control the upgrade path for the CPU.
Bullshit. The AmigaOne-XE (which is already finished (including the BIOS) and waiting to go into production once the first production run of the AmigaOneG3-SE is sold) is equipped with a "MegArray" CPU connector. That's the standard CPU connector used by Apple. An AmigaOne-XE will accept standard Apple CPU upgades, including Dual- or Quad-G4 units (though AmigaOS will not support multiple processors).
Page generated in 0.05242 seconds with 9 queries