View Single Post
Old 23 July 2010, 10:57   #44
Ya' like it Retr0?
I was quite taken with Ubuntu - that worked on everything pretty much everything outa the box - The only thing it didn't support is 3D acceleration (thanks to ATI) and the SD Card input of the Laptop.

The above is also true for Fedora 11, however theres somthing broken with Fedora 12 and 13 as I couldn't get it to work with the domain... even after two days and forum trolling I still couldn't get it to play ball... it could use wireless / hardline internet - but couldn't access the work group.

Now a Funny thing neither of these heavy weight *Nix distros used the Acer5100's touchpad.. even after hunting synaptics (not the viri company) for and installing it... no dice and no go...

However... ICAROS.... complete support and works a treat!!!!! hows that!!!

I am just a tad miffed at ATI's distinct lack of *Nix support for pretty much any of thier gfx card chipsets - even their flag-ship cards are poorly supported and their itegrated graphics chips support.... well.... I doubt the X1100 or M2/3 series will ever get an official release.

I even attempt to install the *suposed* X1100 cataliyst linux drivers... but they are broken by design and totally f'd up Fedora to the point where I had to re-install it.

In the end I found Ubuntu to be a good distro for -off the shelf compatability- I am sure if I spent more time with the right linux distro but to be honest had it of been an NVidia card in the Acer then this would not be a problem.

from their website
Automated installer and Display Drivers for X.Org 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, or 7.4

The drivers above support English only.
The display driver requires POSIX shared memory to be enabled on the system.
Kernal Sources package is no longer required if Kernel Header package is installed.
I even found a petition online- petitioning ATI to make proper functional Linux Drivers for their cards.
Page generated in 0.05832 seconds with 9 queries