Thread: Graphics cards
View Single Post
Old 12 July 2010, 16:10   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Hewitson

you may have point sir - wiki says

Quote:
While revolutionary in delivering an affordable 3D accelerator with good quality 2D performance, the ViRGE earned the unofficial title as the world's first "graphics decelerator" due to its abysmal 3D performance. While the ViRGE could render basic 3D scenes faster than host-CPU based software rendering, turning on features such as bilinear filtering and Z-depth fogging caused the card to slow down to the point where software-rendering would outrun the ViRGE. To this extent, the practical feature set of the ViRGE range was extremely limited. Ironically, 3D-rendering on the expensive VRAM based ViRGE/VX (988) was even slower than the ViRGE/325 due to the VX's slower core and memory clock rates.

The ViRGE was also unpopular for its lack of OpenGL support, limiting visual quality and performance with the extremely popular Quake engine.
Now looking at this from a CPU persepctive - there most likely looking at a Pentium 133 era of PC computing, this - CPU - for most its faults is much faster (in interger calc terms) than an 060 at 66mhz.

I wonder if a stock 060 (irrespective of bus bandwidth) could max or really match the cards optimum performance?

[SD3D - 3D feature(s)]
3D texture mapping
  • Perspective correction, flat and Gouraud shading
  • Bilinear and trilinear texture filtering, MIP Mapping, alpha blending, and video texture mapping
  • Depth cueing and fogging, Z-buffering

I will say one thing..... its going to be very interesting to find out -

I have an A1200 060@80 that needs seting up with its PCI and Voodoo5500PCI
An A4000 with CSMk2 060@50 and CV64 3D/Mk2
an A2000 with 040@33 and Picasso2 +

I admit I am looking forward to the journey!

Page generated in 0.05538 seconds with 11 queries