View Single Post
Old 06 June 2010, 08:45   #4
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by absence View Post
It may seem like there's no difference, but there is. Whether you can hear the difference depends on several factors, like your equipment, how noisy your listening environment is, how damaged your hearing is, and how trained your hearing is (including what kind of audio quality you're used to).
To be honest, I worded my question in quite the wrong way. What I mean is that there seems to be no difference between a 16 bit WAV and a 14 bit version of that same WAV when played back on an Amiga.
Quote:
Conversion to 14 bit may not be "necessary", because you can toss away the extra bits at runtime. But if you're going to throw them away, why store them at all? They take up additional unnecessary space.
It's part of an audio compressor I'm doing for a little project of mine. Basically I want lossless compression, and because this is Amiga only, I figured I could get away with not storing bits that can't be played back by the audio hardware.
Quote:
Also, simply throwing away the least significant bits does not result in the best possible sound quality. Dithering and noise shaping reduce (but don't eliminate) the quality loss caused by bit reduction.
Interesting. I tried to do it with Sox on the peecee, but it didn't want to convert 16 bit to 14 bit Perhaps I'll try writing something myself if it's not too difficult
Quote:
(Of course you could dither and noise shape in real time, but it costs CPU time that isn't insignifficant on an Amiga.)
Probably, but it's still an interesting idea

Page generated in 0.04311 seconds with 11 queries