View Single Post
Old 24 May 2010, 22:24   #29
I've never been able to find a good copy either. I suppose you could shell out for it on eBay, though I hesitate to do that. I do not want to see a "collectors' market" building around classic games and try to fight it when I can, even though it's likely a losing battle. I saw the same thing happen with comic books back in the 90s. When I was a kid, I could go to any yard sale or flea market and buy bags or boxes of old comics for a few bucks. Eventually, though, the public got this idea that every old comic was valuable and that they should either horde them or sell them at ridiculous prices. Pretty soon you had to be rich just to collect. Now I see the same thing happening with games. How much longer before you won't be able to buy any old games for a cheap price because the owners will assume (wrongly or rightly) that they're extremely valuable? It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, too, but the bubble will eventually pop. This usually happens when the public swarms in and ignorantly invests large amounts of money into something they care nothing about in hopes of a quick cash-in.

So, my advice (FWIW) is to sell or giveaway (gasp) your old games or hardware only to friends and for a cheap, friendly price. Try not to make this into a collectors' market. It will be better for everyone if it's just a nice community of people who love this stuff, not a bunch of outsiders trying to game the system.

Anyway, I digress. I've been out of town and sadly must be out of town again this weekend. I still need to post the other Chris A. videos, and just completed an amazing interview with Sean Cooper. In other words, so much great stuff in the pipe! It's going to be a great summer once all of these conferences are over.
Page generated in 0.05139 seconds with 9 queries