View Single Post
Old 18 May 2010, 16:37   #2
thomas

Quote:
is there CD burning utility that works under 3.0 either cheap or free, so I could at least do a full backup of my current partitions as a fallback?
MakeCD should work on 2.0 even and is now free: http://www.estamos.de/makecd/

Quote:
So is there anyone out there that could point me to an Idiots Guide to installing 3.9 on a system like mine?
I don't know if there is such a guide, but IMHO it's not as complicated as you think. If you've got your CD with the original booklet, you should read it. It tells you some basic things.

Quote:
The thing that worries me is that if I try to install it and lose my CDRom drive connectivity in the process, I am not sure I could ever put stuff back how it used to be!
The installation process starts with creating an OS 3.9 emergency disk and booting from it. This means you can try out OS 3.9 without any change to your existing system. If OS 3.9 boots successfully from the emergency disk, you have access to the CD drive.

If the emergency disk does not successfully boot, you should not try to install OS 3.9 to HDD but rather come back here with a brief description of what happens and ask for help.

Page generated in 0.08687 seconds with 9 queries