View Single Post
Old 29 March 2010, 12:17   #27

Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
No offense, but that's fact in many situations. MODs are often 8kHz 8 bit samples upsampled with no interpolation. And it doesn't sound better when the final output channels are panned 100% left/right. It's like screaming out how raw the sound is. Youtube is aprox. 96-128kbit 44kHz 16 bit, imagine how much nicer sounds you can put in that. And if you're one of the bias-based guys that thinks 128kbit is bad no-matter what, then it's reverse-placebo (or something like that). 128kbit can sound very nice, but a jump up to 192kbit is noticable in many cases. More than that is often hard to notice for the average person.

I'm not an anti-paula guy, I'm just an Amigan while I also can comprehend that paula isn't a special chip anymore. It can sound nice if you do 28kHz 14 bit software mixing, but that's not interesting. It's like having a cheap sound card.. The raw sound is more interesting imo, and it's way more common on the Amiga. Protracker does hardware mixing in 8 bit 22-28kHz.

Paula + Equalizers and mixers != native Amiga sound. Well it kind of is, but you get what I mean.
Try to sample a non-chip (not sinus, but a more advanced sample) bass sound in protracker on an A500 and connect it to a PA system and crank up the volume. You'll get a noisy and distorted bass sound.
No offence taken and thank you for pointing out all the bitrates and such, but I'm aware of those, I'm a professional musician and own a studio for +20 years

But the point I tried to make is that Youtube movies don't always contain studio quality sound. In this case, someone just taped the lot with a mic and thus ending up in a Youtube movie. You can slap any bitrate on it you want in that case, the bottleneck is the recorder in this case (probably a mobile phone or something).

It's just friggin' awesome he uses Protracker as his native sequencer, making us all proud we share that same passion: the Amiga.
Page generated in 0.05505 seconds with 9 queries