View Single Post
Old 16 March 2010, 19:57   #138
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Ok I've now finally got this working my using MPEG files (for some reason it has trouble when the original was an AVI?). I'm also seeing poor quality in my movies (dithering) although that might be something to do with WinUAE (can't try it on my real Amiga at the moment).
On my A1200 the movie quality was the same than on WinUAE.

Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Indeed no dithering at all. I really wonder how these videos were made. Maybe a previous version of the converter didn't put dithering in the video. Or there are undocumented arguments on the encoder that we don't know?
That's an interesting assumption since several versions were made. Maybe the auto-dithering had been implemented with a video quality improvment in mind by the author, it would have been useful if it had been hires, but in 320x it appears more like noise than anything else.

Are the old versions of avihv available somewhere ?
And maybe we should try to simply ask DamageX how did he manage to have such a quality with his example movies (no dithering at all).

I'm only trying also on WinUAE, but i doubt it makes any difference i think. Only comparing the same encode in a real Amiga we can know. I'm unable to do that.
There is no difference. On A1200 it's the same than on WinUAE.

Again I'm puzzled about the difficulties in encoding AVI files, i have yet to have a problem on that matter. I tried like some 5 or 6 avi files without problems. What version of VirtuaDub do you use? I'm using 1.9.8 build 32706 on Win XP SP3.
AVI is very generic, which compression format were used to encode your AVI files ? My tests with AVI files (Dx50, XViD, MPG4...) all failed except one (???) which format was MPG4, but other AVI files encoded with MPG4 also failed.

Here VirtualDub version is 1.9.7 build 32661, I should update it !
Page generated in 0.05500 seconds with 9 queries