View Single Post
Old 03 March 2010, 08:25   #48
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
The Amiga pretty much has the most ambitious chipset ever made in a home computer. If you mean that an 8-way 'mapper' and music playing at the same time to boot(!) isn't complex to do on a base Amiga, well I couldn't agree more...?

And certainly you have to write complex code to make the ST do things it wasn't designed to do, like games with stuff moving around.

As a result, many ST coders learned more 68000 tricks and wrote tighter code than most Amiga coders.

But the complexity is then in the software, as you mentioned.

I guess you don't really mean that the Amiga design wasn't complex, certainly not contrasted by the rudimentary 'off-the-shelf' designs of MSX, ST, PC, etc.
I'm saying that given the good documentation available (HRM etc) it isn't a hard machine to learn to use. I learned on the ST first then did some coding on the Amiga. An 8 way mapper on the Amiga isn't hard to do.

Something like Enchanted Lands at 50fps on an ST is more impressive given the limitations of the shifter in a standard ST.

The ST has timers which can be used to trigger beam synchronous interrupts, palette split etc. Opening the top/bottom and left borders using timers isn't that tricky. Opening the right hand side involves writing beam sync code. Opening all four borders, playing a four channel mod whilst having a full screen 50fps 8 way mapped scroller... That's impressive for an ST. It's pretty good code.
Page generated in 0.05040 seconds with 9 queries