View Single Post
Old 24 February 2010, 00:20   #90
Dan Locke
Registered User
Dan Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Actually, this is inaccurate. You can be swamped by enemies very quickly in Turrican 2 if you don't wave your gun around a fair bit. In fact, in Turrican 2 you can die much quicker than in Gunstar Heroes by not shooting shit up, because the enemies appear acutely and must be dealt with immediately, whereas in Gunstar Heroes there's just this chronic and seemingly passive swarm.
Well, yeah, you have to shoot them when they're there at all. There are large areas with no enemies to speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
It all comes down to the pure vs. hybrid thing. To spell it out, to spoon feed you: Turrican 2 = hybrid of run n gun/platformer, Gunstar Heroes = pure run n gun.
A run 'n' gun is a type of platformer, so I really don't see how the whole "hybrid" thing would work. Here's how it goes:

Platformer: Any game that combines lateral movement with jumping. Examples include everything from Donkey Kong to LittleBigPlanet.

Run 'n' Gun: A platformer that focuses on running, gunning, and little else. Examples include games like Astro Marine Corps, Metal Slug, and Gunstar Heroes.

Capisce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
What nonsense; please see above. You shoot shit up, jump a bit, shoot, jump a bit, shoot, fight the boss, etc. The game is just a hybrid; nothing more , nothing less. I've merely addressing your belittlement of the run n gun aspect of the game. Bleat all you want that the emphasis is on exploration; you're wrong, because there is no emphasis. You need an aim and some serious structure a la Super Metroid for emphasis to be on that.
I didn't say that the emphasis was on exploration; I said that it had emphasis on exploration. Again, play the second world of Turrican II if you can't see that. Those games have room for exploration (and, indeed, reward exploration) in a way that run 'n' guns do not. It isn't non-linear, but you miss out on two thirds of the levels if you just run straight through them without taking the time to look around and explore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Yes, and the Turrican games have a lot of shooting, too. See how I can see both sides?
Of what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
(BTW, there's really not mountains of level design in Turrican 2, which is mostly a package of aimlessness/stucturelessness. Compare Super Metroid, Flashback etc.)
You keep calling the games "aimless", but you really haven't explained why they are so. If anything, Super Metroid is the one that's "aimless", considering that you just wander around looking for abilities until you're able to fight the final boss. It's an awesome game, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
No, the enchancement doesn't really suit your tone. "Belittlement" is a better word for you in this instance.
Unless I somehow managed to unwittingly say that shooting detracts from the games, I can't make head or tail of what you just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
To continue my analogy, shooting would be the _lens_ of the camera.
You can't have a camera without a lens, but you can have a game without shooting. How exactly is that "analogy" supposed to apply to anything that we're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
"Frivolous" has a negative connotation but I can't think of a better word right now, so that will have to do.
I don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
You've never animated a single walk cycle in your life have you?
I have. It was two frames long and looked like garbage, but I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
I love how you pull these words outta your arse hole like "choppier" and "smoother" when my comments pertained to number of animation frames dedicated to superfluous and _incidental_ (i.e., non-core mechanic) event-anims in DKC/EWJ. It amuses me.
I really don't see your point. Fluidity is an attribute that applies to all animation, regardless of its use or context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Well, I've encoutered foreground fighting with action for my attention in EWJ quite a few times. I remember jumping back from my screen, shouting "get the fuck outta the way!", just as I would if someone in real life actually stood in front it.
Please name the level that had it, because I've played up to the halfway point of the Peter Puppy level without seeing it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Actually, I was referring to DKC.
The minecart levels, right? Those were a chore to play; it was like Rick Dangerous all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Incorrect. I only died three or four times from it, but that's unforgiveable. I speak here of both EWJ foreground blindness and DKC edge-screen blindness. Very shit game design, made worse since the germ of it lies in "eye candy for the masses".
As opposed to eye candy for the elite? And I don't remember any such blinkering in Donkey Kong Country's main levels, however prominent it was in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
The barrel-cannon sequences were hard for you?
No. I said that they weren't "easy to the point of being dull". Read my posts. If you are already doing so, stop twisting my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Man, you seriously need to play a Taito _scrolling-screen_ (i.e., non-Bubble Bobble) plaformer. It really is the only way to sharpen those blunted skills of yours.
No need to be a jerk and insult my platform skills. I suppose that I'm also gay and live in my mother's basement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
It is silly, very silly; luckily no one's done that yet, huh?
Done what? Beaten on a game for having good graphics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
I wasn't going to bother answering this because the question is riddled with ignorance of that Taito game, but I will _briefly_ for your benefit.

1. he's not slower or less responsive than EWJ (please play beyond round 1 and pick up at least 3 power ups)
He is slower. I can feel it when I'm playing, in the same way that I can feel the difference between Arabian Nights and Leander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
2. the vertical scrolling speed is not fixed.
Not the vertical scrolling; the vertical sprite movement. The kid slides up the screen at a constant speed, then abruptly starts sliding down at the same speed. There's no acceleration to speak of. Given an empty level, you could fall all the way from the top to the bottom without speeding up in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Well, you said the GFX were ugly. What an hilariously nonesensical comment.
I didn't mean it; I only said it in response to your comment that Earthworm Jim's animation was superfluous (and implication that it shouldn't have been used to such an extent). Of course, this is the exact same thing that I said in the section that you quoted, but, if you didn't listen then, you aren't likely to listen now.

As far as I'm concerned, Rainbow Islands's graphics are actually quite a bit better than those of other 8-bit arcade games of the same generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
I don't have disdain for EWJ's polish - only where it distracts or detracts from the kernal
Were you on the C64 dev team? Because they're the only other people who spell "kernel" with an A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
of platforming (moving around, jumping, shooting, _getting on with the game_ without extraneous anim frames encroaching from the cartoon industry).
Again I'll say it: how the heck do good graphics take away from gameplay? Is smooth animation something that only cartoons have the right to use? Must a walk cycle have no more than four frames?

Seriously, how is it even possible for smooth animation to worsen "moving around, jumping, shooting _getting on with the game_"? Is the game literally harder to play because of its graphical polish? I seriously have no clue how you can say that with a straight face.

The engine doesn't care a bit about the graphics that you stick on top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
In short, Rainbow Islands + NZ Story >> EWJ + DKC! :-)
In short, all four are awesome games (except for Donkey Kong Country), but Super Metroid is even better.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 25 February 2010 at 17:02.
Dan Locke is offline  
 
Page generated in 0.10921 seconds with 9 queries