View Single Post
Old 22 February 2010, 18:46   #72
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
The Megadrive (or Genesis - gay name btw!) had a total of 10 audio channels compared to 8 on the Snes.
Ah, I had forgotten about the Texas Instruments chip.

Quote:
Yes the Megadrive handles higher resolutions and is also a faster machine thanks to a better processor.
I had forgotten about the processor advantage. Outside of shoot-em-ups, though, it hardly matters.

Quote:
I meant the graphics are "slightly" better if you compare them side by side... The Snes has a larger colour palette but this does not make a tremendous noticeable difference in real world gaming.
It does make a noticeable difference. The SNES can have four times as many colors onscreen as the Genesis can, and it shows. Genesis games have far more dithering than SNES games; conversely, SNES games look much smoother than Genesis games. It's the same reason that Amiga games can be less grainy than ST games.

Quote:
Also i think it does rival the Snes technically... both have ups and downs but neither can compare to an Amiga or a 16-bit Neo-Geo
Both are far better than the Amiga (for moving graphics, that is; the Amiga can render still images better than any other 16-bit system), both have nothing on the 32-bit Neo Geo.

Quote:
All i can say from years of experience playing both machines and ignoring technical specs
Why am I not surprised?

Quote:
is the Megadrive appears to be faster and has more detailed music whilst the Snes has much better speech sampling and the visuals are better.
The SNES has better sampling period. And the graphics surpass the Genesis's as much as the Neo Geo's surpass the SNES's.

Quote:
Thats my opinion and nobody needs to agree with me
I have the actual hardware on my side.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 22 February 2010 at 20:57.

Page generated in 0.06299 seconds with 9 queries