View Single Post
Old 22 February 2010, 04:46   #64
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
I loved the Megadrive but what you talk of here is more a personal taste thing isn't it.Megadrive wasn't as vibrant a colour palette as Snes and for some that's a big enough reason right there not to like the games.Great machine with some great shooters like Thunderforce 3 but it was always so gloomy in most Megadrive games.And of course some folk will prefer that gloomy atmosphere
That's actually more of a stylistic approach than anything else. If anything, the Genesis's palette was more "vibrant" as it had only 512 colors to the SNES's 32768 (lower color depth gives fewer subtle shades until you get eye-burning ZX Spectrum-style colors).

That said, at anything above 8-bit color depth, you really can't tell the difference with so few colors on the screen, so it's irrelevant anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I think the Megadrive's Yamaha audio chip was great... it produced far more detailed music than the Snes The Snes sounded as though it had a very limited number of channels
It had two more than the Genesis did.

Quote:
and alot of the games had that same "monotone" kind of music (it's hard to describe what i mean).
Can you imagine the Snes trying to produce the rave sounds of Streets of Rage in all their glory or the funky music in Toejam & Earl?
I can image it doing a much, much better job, actually. Compare the soundtracks of the SNES and Genesis versions of the Earthworm Jim games - there's no contest.

Quote:
The Snes is not very good at re-producing instrument sounds,
And the whiney, twangy, whistley, scratchy Genesis is?

Quote:
But it is far better at producing clear digitised sound for speech and sound FX
And, by extension, for music.

Quote:
Anyway i agree the graphics were slightly better on the Snes
32768 colors to the Genesis's 512
256 onscreen colors to the Genesis's 64
128 sprites to the Genesis's 80

"Slightly" is a ridiculous understatement. The only advantage that the Genesis had was its higher resolution.

Quote:
I own and love both consoles but i think the Megadrive will always be my favourite over the Snes (only just )
Same here, but I don't pretend that it rivals the SNES technically.

Page generated in 0.04351 seconds with 10 queries