View Single Post
Old 21 February 2010, 04:30   #26
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
@Photon:

To change Win Xp shell with Winuae, do the following:

Changing the default shell (all users):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit)
2) go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) Change Shell from explorer.exe to the new shell path e.g C:\winuae\winuae.exe
4) log out and log back in.

Changing the default shell (only current user):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell e.g C:\winuae\winuae.exe.
4) log out and log back in.

That's it! Modifying the registry isn't rocket science.

JUST REMEMBER to rename the winuae configuration that u want to launch, to 'default.uae' !

You can always launch Explorer.exe from WITHIN Winuae, in case u'll need to do so, by using this utility: http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/winlaunch
No it isn't rocket science, I've done it enough times for this project. As I said, I'll write something up when it's Amiga-like in booting speed as well.

And again, the problem with shoving something instead of the shell which is unable to 'work as the start menu' means you have trouble using Windows after exiting WinUAE, and this is of course critical to me. Not only could I convert and modify 3D objects for my demo, I could also browse and type things like this on EAB

I used to be a die-hard fan of Windows 2000, but unfortunately its support is dwindling. Not the fault of the OS, but I agree with Toni's comment. A lite XP or XP Pro with knowledgeable removal of unnecessary stuff is where the minimum "fully working Windows" is today. (Litestep goes a long way towards that, and I've noticed I do less unnecessary stuff on the laptop since I need to add hotkeys/popup entries for common but unnecessary tasks... ) Maybe I'll try your winlaunch tip, but since I'm stupid I like to "K.I.S.S." Or something

Oh, BTW. F*ck Microsoft for abandoning Win 2000. (And also for making 1-2 versions a year in the first place. Oh well, what do you expect from a company that takes countless versions and 11 years to release a workable OS. Let's face it, we use it because it became standard so gamedevs make games for it and hardware vendors make drivers for it, and because WinUAE is the best UAE... and that's about it... unfortunately for competitors, that is of course enough. They should at least work on the first two reasons.)

Page generated in 0.05344 seconds with 9 queries