View Single Post
Old 18 February 2010, 04:27   #84
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Of course they are. But if you're suggesting the Turrican series is similar to Superfrog and Brian the Lion there's no way we can agree.
I wasn't saying that at all. I was replying to this comment:

Quote:
But that's the point. A true platformer will never give you the amount of exploring freedom Turrican does.
By that logic, Superfrog must not be a "true" platformer. By extension, Sonic 3 is even further from platformer-hood.

Quote:
Yes, but the definition is not that far off. Anyone who's played lots of platformers can confirm that. Take the "single-screen" bit out, and you're close.
Like I said before, though, what does that make all of those Sonic the Hedgehog-wannabes with their secret areas and trampolines and moving platforms? They are to Taito games what R-Type is to Space Invaders, as far as relative complexity goes.

Quote:
It wouldn't be Bubble Bobble. It's not the size of the levels that makes a difference, it's what the game allows you to do within them.
Please enlighten me on what a non-platformer allows you to do that a "true" platformer doesn't.

Quote:
It's quite an original way of playing Turri, jumping or rolling on enemies half of the time.
You should try it sometime. It's effective for avoiding damage.

Quote:
It's also strange you seem to forget that on the first Turrican, jumping on enemies isn't even possible.
So?

Quote:
As for the R-Type connection, it was made in a broader shoot'em'up sense, in contrast to platformers. Doesn't the "hold the fire button" laser ring any bells?
No. I don't remember being able to fire a constant, aimable stream of bullets in R-Type, and I certainly don't remember being able to charge up a powerful blast in the Turrican games.

Quote:
But again, it's my opinion. I'm sure you'll not find many to agree with you, on the importance of the Turrican time limit. In the first Turrican (the defining one), the time limit borders on the ridiculous.
In the second Turrican (the good one), they FIXED it.

Page generated in 0.07354 seconds with 9 queries