View Single Post
Old 16 February 2010, 20:55   #19
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
VoilĂ , a picture:

Attachment 24290

And yes, the ATMEL has a pitch of 0.5. I'd solder that by having a tinned board with flux (hehe) applied and then placing the processor on it, and gently swiping the iron over a row of contacts.

However, I am not sad if don't have to do this myself.
If you have a previously tinned board, when you run the iron over it, then you will put tension on the pins , as each side will sink slightly, you may even get to the point of having one row of pins raised off the solder altogether.

Another suggestion is to bother some local electronic manufacturers, any that use stencils, when their stencils get a bit worn, they replace them, get any that have 0.5 dot pitch mask in the same pin count as the Atmel, and they are very common, then mask up any nearby holes with Kaplon tape and using something like a paint stripper, the metal bladed type, apply a small amount of solder paste to the screen and run the blade over it. Place the Atmel by hand, have two ovens, a small toaster type oven at around 100 degrees celcius and another at around 220 degrees celcius, use the first as preheat and second as reflow. It's fiddly, I know, but it will work. Failing that, just get the Atmel placed and reflowed prior to any other components, I have contacts here I could ask for prices, if you like?

Paul

Page generated in 0.04215 seconds with 11 queries