View Single Post
Old 15 February 2010, 21:47   #15
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I agree with Mark.

I think for the most part, the people in the UK were largely influenced by what they saw from coders/graphics/musicians from the rest of Europe.

Theres a distinct style change over the years, where the likes of Anarchy and Digital (Previously Magnetic Fields) started emulating the style of other countries output.

Lots of the innovative stuff was all from Europe as well, with many of the UK coders simply either copying the effects, but it was rare to have a UK production be the first to have something properly 'wow'.

I think also in the UK, the gravitas was more toward spreading pirated software than being demo-centric, whereas it seemed to be the other way around in the rest of Europe.

Thats not to say all of the UK people were not as talented as their European counterparts, far from it.

The likes of 4-Mat were doing great music right from the off, Kreator/Anarchy was doing great things as well.
Agreed

When I was a member of Magnetic Fields I can remember feeling great pride at us releasing "Hysteresis" which, while far from perfect, seemed to mark a watershed moment in UK megademo releases, purely thanks to the talent of Spook - who promptly left for America. Mind you, it was really just a copy of the Euro style and offered little new.

Having come from "Silents UK" (Cyrus Corp) to MF, I was used to cringing at our sub-standard output compared to the genius of the Danish and Swedish divisions. That said, I think a lot of UK demos were really catering to the UK market for juvenile junk; Slipstream's "Duck" demo, SAE's "Boys In Blue" are just two examples of the type of things that would provoke an "oh, how UK" from me.

It wasn't until the likes of Anarchy got their act together that the UK finally had something to shout about in the demo world. Up until the formation of Anarchy (via Mayhem, Slipstream, THR, SAE, Cyrus, MF, etc.) we were really quite lame here in the UK - for every TRSI we had a Pendle Europa, for every Phenomena, a Pseudo-Ops.

We were killer original suppliers/crackers though, from the Amiga's earliest days (TKT/Oracle) through to (ironically) the end of its commercial life. Pity there were so many RSI demo maker efforts and "Boot Girl" style tacked-on "spread intros" originating from the UK though!

Page generated in 0.05806 seconds with 9 queries